Position Title: Camp Director – Camp Wing Day Camp
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Supervises: Seasonal Staff Team
Location: Duxbury, MA
Duration: Seasonal – June, July, August
Annual Salary: $15,000
Crossroads is Hiring! We are searching for an outstanding individual to join our program team in the position of Camp Director – Camp Wing Day Camp. This is a terrific opportunity for a person with a genuine passion for supporting youth and staff to achieve excellence, with significant experience in a similar position focused on positive youth development. Essential to success in this role will be demonstrated experience as a highly-effective and collaborative leader of both people and systems. This includes the ability to develop strong teams, build meaningful relationships with Crossroads many stakeholders (youth, families, staff, board, donors, volunteers, alumni, partner schools and organizations), and ensure smooth daily operations. In addition, the Camp Director has primary responsibility for hiring, managing, and developing staff and deploying resources to drive maximum programmatic and organizational impact.
About Crossroads – Camp Wing Day Camp. Camp Wing Day Camp provides engaging activities in a variety of program areas for youth aged 5 to 16. With the guidance of our trained and supportive staff, campers explore their interests and build skills through instructional swim lessons, sports and games, team building with peers, archery, creative arts, and adventure activities including climbing, kayaking, canoeing, and ropes courses. Through their experiences at Camp Wing, located in Duxbury, Massachusetts, campers build confidence and self-esteem, while developing their interpersonal and collaboration skills.
Position Summary: The Camp Director will lead all facets of the Camp Wing Day Camp summer program, ensuring that program quality, youth outcome, and operational effectiveness goals are met. The Camp Director will advance the Crossroads vision and mission through outstanding leadership, planning, people development, strategic decision-making, and program enactment.
- Lead the planning, coordination, and implementation of safe, engaging, and intentional summer programming that meets defined outcomes.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and inspire a diverse team of up to 70 seasonal summer camp staff to achieve program outcomes.
- Plan, manage, and meet approved budget for summer camp program.
- Maintain a high level of applicable professional knowledge and best practices through ongoing professional education, research, and development of relationships with colleagues and experts in the field.
- Develop and implement camper recruitment, retention, and engagement strategies with families to ensure participation goals are achieved and excellent customer service is provided.
- Assist Camp Wing Resident Camp Director to ensure that the program and operations comply with local, state, and federal regulations and meets the American Camp Association (ACA) accreditation standards.
- Partner with the Camp Wing Resident Camp Director to ensure both programs are maximizing use of the facility and delivering exceptional quality program for young people.
Areas of Emphasis:
- Ensure that the highest levels of safety are in place at all times, prioritizing the physical and mental well-being of all participants and staff.
- Foster and promote a culture of joy, inclusivity, and optimism.
- Focus on enacting outstanding outdoor, experiential programming that results in the achievement of annual goals for participant growth, for program quality, and for operational effectiveness.
- Design and enact high-quality staff training and ongoing professional development/coaching to ensure that Crossroads’ standards for professionalism, program improvement, and staff development are met.
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills, and the ability to identify connections and relationships between concepts, resources, and people. Generate innovative solutions to program challenges.
- Support implementation of measurement and evaluation systems for tracking positive youth development towards outcomes.
- Create a culture of respect and appreciation for Crossroads, the young people we serve, our staff, the facilities, and the natural environment where our programs are offered.
- Coordinate with the maintenance team to ensure a high level of cleanliness, facility readiness and create a culture of “Leave No Trace.”
Decision Making Authority:
- In partnership with fellow Directors, the Director of Management & Evaluation, the Chief Operating Officer, and the Executive Director, develop and implement annual priorities to ensure high quality program standards and youth development outcomes.
- Hire and develop an outstanding Leadership Team, Counselors, Service Corp and Office Manager.
- Oversee the development and management of the summer camp program budget, collaborating with other program and operations staff to identify areas for greater efficiency and opportunities for increased investment.
- Exercise lead decision-making over all elements of the day-to-day summer camp operations.
- Demonstrated passion for working with youth and a genuine belief in their potential for success; an unshakable belief in the mission of Crossroads.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Collaborative, engaging leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
- Strong work ethic; ability to lead by example and be effective in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Self-starter who can work independently and take initiative; flexible, adaptable, organized, and strong attention to detail.
- Effective team-builder, cross-functional collaborator, and problem-solver who remains calm under pressure.
- Polished communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to establish strong relationships via email, phone, and in person with families, campers, and staff.
- Ability to safely and effectively manage risk.
- Ability and enthusiasm to work long days during 9 weeks of the summer.
- Willingness to obtain skills certifications, as appropriate.
- Positive approach, can-do attitude, sense of humor, and grace under pressure.
- Ability to handle rough, uneven terrain and the rigors of camp life.
- A love of the outdoors and desire to share that with others.
- Minimum of five years of experience in youth programs, preferably in an outdoor camp setting.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work/life experience.
- Prior supervisory experience with demonstrated ability to coach, train and supervise a diverse group of staff and to develop a climate of trust, respect, and accountability.
- Experience with creating and leading enactment of high-quality programs to meet desired outcomes.
- Deep commitment to and experience prioritizing and maintaining the highest levels of child safety.
- Experience working in a diverse community.
To apply: Crossroads is hiring for this position beginning in January 2022, with flexibility on a specific start date for the ideal candidate. Please email your resume and cover letter to Jessica Dugan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com