Position Title: Director of Camp Programs
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Supervises: Camp Mitton, Camp Wing, and Camp Wing Day Camp Directors
Location: Boston, Duxbury & Brewster
Salary Range: $80,000-$85,000
About Crossroads. At Crossroads, we believe that every young person has the ability to unlock their potential and positively impact the world. It is our goal to provide guidance, resources, and confidence to all of our young people, while also showing them respect, friendship, and an unwavering commitment to help them transform into informed individuals and leaders. As a Crossroads family made up of participants and their caregivers, staff, donors, and friends, we stand united in supporting our young people as they become economically independent citizens, socially responsible leaders, and emotionally connected adults. Our summer camps create the space for young people to explore new environments, engage in new and fun experiences, and develop healthy relationships with fellow campers and staff.
Activities include daily instructional swim lessons, sports and games, climbing, mountain biking, boating, archery, arts and crafts, performing arts and more. All activities are facilitated to provide opportunities to build skills such as critical thinking, creativity, social awareness, and teamwork.
Position Summary: The Director of Camp Programs has lead responsibility for ensuring that organizational goals for program quality, youth outcomes, and operational effectiveness goals are met at Camp Mitton, Camp Wing, and Camp Wing Day Camp. The Director of Camp Programs will advance the Crossroads vision and mission through outstanding leadership, planning, people development, strategic decision-making, and program enactment.
The Director of Camp Programs will have a genuine passion for leading and developing staff to achieve excellence in delivering youth development programs. Essential to success in this role is the ability to be a highly-effective and collaborative leader of both people and systems. This includes skill and experience in developing strong teams and meaningful relationships with diverse stakeholders (youth, families, staff, board, donors, volunteers, alumni, partner schools and organizations.) The Director of Camp Programs will be a dynamic and enthusiastic leader in the effort to ensure that all participants have access to transformative growth experiences and a joyful community that foster positive short- and long-term positive impact.
- Manage the Camp Directors in the planning, coordination, and implementation of safe, engaging, and intentional summer and related school year programming, that meets defined outcomes.
- Supervise Camp Directors to recruit, hire, train, supervise, and inspire a diverse team of up to 300 seasonal summer camp staff to achieve program outcomes.
- Create, manage, and meet approved budget with Camp Directors for summer camp and related school year programs.
- Maintain a high level of applicable professional knowledge and best practices through ongoing professional education, research, and development of relationships with colleagues and experts in the field.
- Ensure that Camp Directors are using thoughtful and intentional camper recruitment and engagement strategies with families, partner schools, and agencies to ensure participation goals are achieved and excellent customer service is provided.
- Ensure that camp operations comply with local, state, and federal regulations and meet American Camp Association (ACA) accreditation standards.
Areas of Emphasis:
- Ensure that the highest levels of safety are in place at all times, prioritizing the physical and mental well-being of all participants and staff.
- Foster and promote a culture of joy, inclusivity, and optimism.
- Oversee Camp Directors in the design and enactment of outstanding outdoor, experiential programming that results in the achievement of goals for participant growth and program quality.
- Direct the creation of summer camp schedules, activities, and initiatives that allow young people to explore new horizons and reach ambitious goals.
- Lead Camp Directors to create and deliver high-quality staff training and continuous coaching that builds their capacity to deliver excellent programs and achieve youth development outcomes.
- Guide Camp Directors to develop thoughtful and creative strategies for recruiting an amazing seasonal staff team who are committed to the Crossroads mission.
- Collaborate with the Director of Measurement & Evaluation to implement systems for tracking positive youth development outcomes.
- Cultivate a culture of respect and appreciation for Crossroads, the young people we serve, our staff, the facilities, and the natural environment where our programs are offered.
- Supervise Camp Directors to ensure a high level of cleanliness and facility readiness, and promote a culture of “Leave No Trace.”
- Collaborate with the Development Team on donor and grant-based fundraising opportunities and contribute to the culture of philanthropy.
- In partnership with the Camp Directors, the Director of Management & Evaluation, the Chief Operating Officer, and the Executive Director, develop and implement annual priorities to ensure high quality program standards and youth development outcomes.
- Manage, develop, and coach outstanding Camp Directors to build their capacity to lead joyful communities and high-performing teams, as they deliver outstanding experiential programs and advance the Crossroads mission.
- Oversee the development and management of the summer camp program budgets and identify areas for greater efficiency and opportunities for increased investment.
- Supervise Camp Directors, who are responsible for decision-making over all elements of the day-to-day summer programs at Camp Wing, Camp Mitton, and Camp Wing Day Camp.
- Demonstrated passion for working with youth and a genuine belief in their potential for success; an unshakable belief in the mission of Crossroads.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Collaborative, engaging leadership style with mature interpersonal skills and the ability to manage multiple, competing priorities and deadlines.
- Strong work ethic; ability to lead by example and be effective in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Self-starter who can work independently and take initiative; flexible, adaptable, organized, and strong attention to detail.
- Proven leader who has inspired and led a team of staff to meet program outcomes.
- Effective team-builder, cross-functional collaborator, and problem-solver who remains calm under pressure.
- Polished communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to establish strong relationships via email, phone, and in person with families, campers, agencies, schools, volunteers, and staff.
- Ability to safely and effectively manage risk.
- Ability and enthusiasm to work evenings, weekends, and overnights including 10 weeks during the summer months.
- Willingness to obtain skills certifications, as appropriate.
- Positive approach, can-do attitude, sense of humor, and grace under pressure.
- Ability to handle rough, uneven terrain and the rigors of camp life.
- A love of the outdoors and desire to share that with others.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in youth outdoor camping, with five in a senior leadership role.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work/life experience.
- Prior supervisory experience with demonstrated ability to coach, train and supervise a diverse group of staff and to develop a climate of trust, respect, and accountability.
- Experience with creating and leading enactment of high-quality programs to meet desired outcomes.
- Deep commitment to and experience prioritizing and maintaining the highest levels of child safety.
- Experience working in a diverse community.
To apply: Crossroads is hiring for this position beginning in January 2022, with flexibility on a specific start date for the ideal candidate. Please email your resume and cover letter to Jessica Dugan at email@example.com.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org